Back to Top skip to main content
Green and Spiegel - An Immigration Law Firm


I am an international student on a study permit, can I work while I’m here?

Yes. Full-time post-secondary students may work without a work permit on the campus of the university or college at which they are a full-time student. This authorization is valid for the period which they are enrolled in full-time studies. This regulation applies to students who are: engaged in full-time studies (regardless of the course or program of study at a university, community college, collège d'enseignement général et professionnel (CÉGEP), publicly funded trade or technical school, or private institutions authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees); working at any number of jobs on-campus, as well as students working as research or teaching assistants at facilities off-campus in research related to their research grant. These facilities could include teaching hospitals, clinics, research institutes, etc., that have a formal association or affiliation with the learning institution.

​Students are permitted to work off campus without work permit for up to 20 hours a week during a regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled breaks, provided that they hold a valid study permit; they are full-time students enrolled at a designated learning institution; the program in which they are enrolled is a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program, or a vocational training program at the secondary level offered in Quebec; the program of study is at least six month or more in duration and one that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate; and they continue to fulfill the terms and conditions of their study permit, as well as the conditions to engage in off campus work (e.g., work no more than 20 hours a week during a regular academic session).