Back to Top skip to main content
Green and Spiegel - An Immigration Law Firm


I have a Temporary Resident Visa, can I leave Canada and come back?

Single-entry temporary resident visa

If you have a single-entry temporary resident visa, you will need a new visa to come back to Canada.

Multiple-entry temporary resident visa

Yes, you can come back to Canada, if you have a multiple-entry temporary resident visa and your passport and visa have     not expired.

Expired temporary resident visa

You can return to Canada on your original temporary resident visa, even if it is expired, if you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon for less than 30 days; and you will return to Canada before the end of your approved stay in Canada.

An officer will confirm whether you meet all the requirements before allowing you to come back to Canada. If you visit any country other than those listed above, you will need a new temporary resident visa.